Libyan gunmen are reportedly shooting sub-Saharan refugees who seek to escape Libya by boat, according to a report in the UK newspaper The Independent.
Reuters Italian Police and Guardia Costiera officers carry an injured refugee as he arrives on the southern Italian island of Lampedusa
Guides and Report
A Rome-based Eritrean priest, Father Mussie Zerai, told the paper that according to his contacts in Tripoli the bodies of sub-Saharan refugees who sought to flee Libya by boats were found washed back ashore with gunshot wounds.
“There are five bodies in total, two women, two boys and an Egyptian who we believe was the boat’s captain,” Zerai said. “Their bodies have gunshot wounds in them. Somebody shot them after they left Libya.”
These people might have been part of a group of 335 Eritrean and Ethiopian migrants who sailed from Tajura, Libya on March 22 and seemingly vanished without a trace.
Last week, a total of 60 bodies washed ashore on the Libyan coast.
Must Read
Sponsorship Link== == [[image:http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N1558.155981.IBTIMES.COM/B4341752.3;sz=1x1;ord=[timestamp]? width="1" height="1" caption="Advertisement" link="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N1558.155981.IBTIMES.COM/B4341752.3;sz=1x1;ord=[timestamp]?"]]
Zerai tracks the movement of migrants who cross the Mediterranean. His contacts in Libya include Eritrean immigrants who live there as well as Monsignor Giovanni Martinelli, the Catholic bishop of Tripoli.
It is not clear who might have murdered the migrants and no photos of the dead bodies have yet surfaced.
While most of the migrants fleeing North Africa have been young Tunisian men who crossed the short distance to the Italian island of Lampedusa, more vessels are coming from Libya which represents a longer and more perilous journey.
A migrant boat which capsized 40 miles of Lampedusa is believed to have contained refugees from Somalia and Sudan. At least two other boats which left Libya carrying sub-Saharan Africans have also gone missing.
“These tragedies in the sea highlight the lack of rescue plans for refugees,” Dario Picciau from Everyone Group, an Italian human rights body, told the Independent.
“This is a murky affair which must be investigated.”
Meanwhile, black Africans who remain trapped in Libya face a litany of dangers, including suspicions by Libyans that they were hired as mercenaries by Gaddafi to shoot and kill civilians. To make matters worse, many of these host nations have done little to repatriate them,
“These were entirely preventable deaths,” Zerai said. “They could have been avoided if only Europe had heeded our pleas before the bombing began when we asked for the emergency evacuation of all refugees trapped on Libyan cities. So far only Italy has taken steps to evacuate around 110 refugees from Tripoli. Other European countries have preferred to take their time. As the refugees get more desperate they resort to making a dangerous journey across the Mediterranean on boats filled with desperate people hoping to rebuild their lives.
Afghan girl raped, killed by White terrorists
So that's what they meant by being there to "liberate the women."
The daughter of an Afghan politician has reportedly died of her injuries after being raped by American soldiers stationed in Afghanistan's southwestern province of Farah.
US forces aboard five Toyota Hiace vans transferred the teenage girl along with several other Afghan women and girls to a military base in the province. They then sexually assaulted them, Afghan sources, who requested anonymity, told Newspaper on Network on Wednesday.
Medical reports indicate that a young girl died as a result of severe bleeding that was caused by tears in her genitals from sexual activity.
Two other victims were admitted to a nearby hospital and are currently receiving treatment for serious injuries they suffered following multiple rapes.
The incident comes as violence in Afghanistan has spiked to record highs since the US-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001.
Statistics about civilian death tolls in Afghanistan are not available. However, it is estimated that between 14,000 and 34,000 Afghan civilians have lost their lives since the US-led war.
Tens of thousands of Afghan civilians have reportedly lost their lives as a consequence of displacement, starvation, disease, exposure, lack of medical treatment, crime and lawlessness resulting from the war.
Afghan Interior Minister Zemarai Bashary said in a recent report that 2010 was the deadliest year for the civilians in the war-torn country since 2001.
Meanwhile, hundreds of civilians have lost their lives in US-led airstrikes and ground operations in various parts of Afghanistan over the past few months, with Afghans becoming more and more outraged over the seemingly endless number of deadly assaults.
This situation is adding fuel to the fire of anti-US sentiment in Afghanistan and the rest of the Islamic world.
Western public opinion is growing increasingly tired of the war. Deaths of civilians in NATO and US attacks have also fueled tensions between President Hamid Karzai and his Western allies.
The American army has lost 1,455 soldiers in Afghanistan since the beginning of the war
Libyan gunmen are reportedly shooting sub-Saharan refugees who seek to escape Libya by boat, according to a report in the UK newspaper The Independent.
Reuters
Italian Police and Guardia Costiera officers carry an injured refugee as he arrives on the southern Italian island of Lampedusa
Guides and Report
A Rome-based Eritrean priest, Father Mussie Zerai, told the paper that according to his contacts in Tripoli the bodies of sub-Saharan refugees who sought to flee Libya by boats were found washed back ashore with gunshot wounds.
“There are five bodies in total, two women, two boys and an Egyptian who we believe was the boat’s captain,” Zerai said. “Their bodies have gunshot wounds in them. Somebody shot them after they left Libya.”
These people might have been part of a group of 335 Eritrean and Ethiopian migrants who sailed from Tajura, Libya on March 22 and seemingly vanished without a trace.
Last week, a total of 60 bodies washed ashore on the Libyan coast.
Must Read
Sponsorship Link== ==Zerai tracks the movement of migrants who cross the Mediterranean. His contacts in Libya include Eritrean immigrants who live there as well as Monsignor Giovanni Martinelli, the Catholic bishop of Tripoli.
It is not clear who might have murdered the migrants and no photos of the dead bodies have yet surfaced.
While most of the migrants fleeing North Africa have been young Tunisian men who crossed the short distance to the Italian island of Lampedusa, more vessels are coming from Libya which represents a longer and more perilous journey.
A migrant boat which capsized 40 miles of Lampedusa is believed to have contained refugees from Somalia and Sudan. At least two other boats which left Libya carrying sub-Saharan Africans have also gone missing.
“These tragedies in the sea highlight the lack of rescue plans for refugees,” Dario Picciau from Everyone Group, an Italian human rights body, told the Independent.
“This is a murky affair which must be investigated.”
Meanwhile, black Africans who remain trapped in Libya face a litany of dangers, including suspicions by Libyans that they were hired as mercenaries by Gaddafi to shoot and kill civilians. To make matters worse, many of these host nations have done little to repatriate them,
“These were entirely preventable deaths,” Zerai said. “They could have been avoided if only Europe had heeded our pleas before the bombing began when we asked for the emergency evacuation of all refugees trapped on Libyan cities. So far only Italy has taken steps to evacuate around 110 refugees from Tripoli. Other European countries have preferred to take their time. As the refugees get more desperate they resort to making a dangerous journey across the Mediterranean on boats filled with desperate people hoping to rebuild their lives.
Afghan girl raped, killed by White terrorists
So that's what they meant by being there to "liberate the women."The daughter of an Afghan politician has reportedly died of her injuries after being raped by American soldiers stationed in Afghanistan's southwestern province of Farah.
US forces aboard five Toyota Hiace vans transferred the teenage girl along with several other Afghan women and girls to a military base in the province. They then sexually assaulted them, Afghan sources, who requested anonymity, told Newspaper on Network on Wednesday.
Medical reports indicate that a young girl died as a result of severe bleeding that was caused by tears in her genitals from sexual activity.
Two other victims were admitted to a nearby hospital and are currently receiving treatment for serious injuries they suffered following multiple rapes.
The incident comes as violence in Afghanistan has spiked to record highs since the US-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001.
Statistics about civilian death tolls in Afghanistan are not available. However, it is estimated that between 14,000 and 34,000 Afghan civilians have lost their lives since the US-led war.
Tens of thousands of Afghan civilians have reportedly lost their lives as a consequence of displacement, starvation, disease, exposure, lack of medical treatment, crime and lawlessness resulting from the war.
Afghan Interior Minister Zemarai Bashary said in a recent report that 2010 was the deadliest year for the civilians in the war-torn country since 2001.
Meanwhile, hundreds of civilians have lost their lives in US-led airstrikes and ground operations in various parts of Afghanistan over the past few months, with Afghans becoming more and more outraged over the seemingly endless number of deadly assaults.
This situation is adding fuel to the fire of anti-US sentiment in Afghanistan and the rest of the Islamic world.
Western public opinion is growing increasingly tired of the war. Deaths of civilians in NATO and US attacks have also fueled tensions between President Hamid Karzai and his Western allies.
The American army has lost 1,455 soldiers in Afghanistan since the beginning of the war